Next Friday is the end of the semester at MSU and, for me, it will mark 30 years that I’ve been on the faculty: six at UC-Irvine, and 24 here at MSU. (I also taught for one semester at Dartmouth as a sabbatical replacement, while I was doing a postdoc at UMass.)
Holy cow: 30 years. Where did all that time go?
Well, a lot of it was spent advising, supervising, and mentoring graduate students. And those have been some of the most interesting, enjoyable, and rewarding professional experiences that I can imagine.
In fact, this afternoon Caroline Turner defended her dissertation – congratulations Dr. Turner! Her dissertation is titled “Experimental evolution and ecological consequences: new niches and changing stoichiometry.” It contains four fascinating and meaty chapters, two on the interplay between evolutionary and ecological processes in the LTEE population that evolved the ability to grow on citrate, and two on evolved changes in the elemental stoichiometry of bacterial cells over experimental time scales.
Caroline is the 20th student to complete her Ph.D. with me serving as the advisor or co-advisor. Here they all are, with links to their professional pages or related sites.
- Felisa Smith, Ph.D. in 1991 from UC-Irvine.
- John Mittler, Ph.D. in 1992 from UC-Irvine.
- Mike Travisano, Ph.D. in 1993 from MSU.
- Paul Turner, Ph.D. in 1995 from MSU.
- Greg Velicer, Ph.D. in 1997 from MSU.
- Brendan Bohannan, Ph.D. in 1997 from MSU.
- Phil Gerrish, Ph.D. in 1998 from MSU.
- Farida Vasi, Ph.D. in 2000 from MSU.
- Vaughn Cooper, Ph.D. in 2000 from MSU.
- Danny Rozen, Ph.D. in 2000 from MSU.
- Kristina Hillesland, Ph.D. in 2004 from MSU.
- Elizabeth Ostrowski, Ph.D. in 2005 from MSU.
- Bob Woods, Ph.D. in 2005 from MSU.
- Dule Misevic, Ph.D. in 2006 from MSU.
- Gabe Yedid, Ph.D. in 2007 from MSU.
- Sean Sleight, Ph.D. in 2007 from MSU.
- Zack Blount, Ph.D. in 2011 from MSU.
- Justin Meyer, Ph.D. in 2012 from MSU.
- Luis Zaman, Ph.D. in 2014 from MSU. (Charles Ofria was the primary advisor.)
- Caroline Turner, Ph.D. in 2015 from MSU.
There are also 8 doctoral students at various stages currently in my group at MSU including Brian Wade (Ph.D. candidate), Mike Wiser (Ph.D. candidate), Rohan Maddamsetti (Ph.D. candidate), Alita Burmeister (Ph.D. candidate), Elizabeth Baird, Jay Bundy, Nkrumah Grant, and Kyle Card.
My own advisor – the late, great Nelson Hairston, Sr. – said that he expected his graduate students to shed sweat and maybe even occasional tears, but not blood. I would imagine the same has been true for my students.
Thirty years, holy cow. Time flies when you’re working hard and having fun!
Added November 4, 2015: And now #21 in my 31st year, as Mike Wiser successfully defended his dissertation today!